• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Sick fish?

Shannon

Hi there, I am relatively new to the hobby and was hoping I could get some help to identify what might be on my clown. Please don’t hate on me, but I don’t have a qt and I just purchased a new clown a week ago and it passed away on day 6. (I will definitely be setting up a qt in the future) so my original clown appears to have a whitish glow on its cheeks, and it’s gills could be a little red, I’m not sure. It’s really hard to see in the picture though, but it’s the best one I was able to get. You can only see it on the fish at certain angles. Perhaps, these have always been there and just never noticed since the fish is a year old now and I never really had a reason to look that closely at it. But now I’m concerned due to the death of the new fish. The new clown didn’t show any physical signs of disease, but started acting strange on day 5 of having it. It started swimming weirdly at the bottom corner of the tank, and then next day I found it had died. If anyone knows where I can get the meds needed as well, that would be super helpful too!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 03C4BFD9-C92F-4EC0-9960-1C624CA2740C.jpeg
    03C4BFD9-C92F-4EC0-9960-1C624CA2740C.jpeg
    969.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B30DB355-FC59-4597-B60D-2D8A19C2E28F.jpeg
    B30DB355-FC59-4597-B60D-2D8A19C2E28F.jpeg
    969.6 KB · Views: 9

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Don't worry about haters here Shannon , we were all new at one point, i can't see anything alarming with that clown, how is it eating? Behaving?

Shannon

He’s eating fine, and for the most part he hangs out in front of the in aquarium filter that blows him around. So pretty much business as usual for him.

Luigi

Probably the new fish had a
condition/ sick when you bought it and then progressed to the fish death.
Many parasites can attack the fish giils
Making hard to trade oxygen

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Shannon we will all tell you to quarantine and what the best practices are. But in reality many of us just drip acclimate, dip in a chemical or fresh water and then place straight into the tank.
Only advise for future is to inspect the fish very closely and try to avoid the impulsive buy.
Also ask fish store to show the fish feeding before purchasing.
Some members actually most of us have had the situation impulse buy and only find we regret it as it is carrying some disease that kills the fish and several other established fish.
Keep an eye on the clown and see of there is any change. If so for the worse maybe a dip would be advisable.