• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

T5

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
What is everyone using for T5 setups? I am looking for 2 6 foot retro setups, unless someone has a better recommendation. They will be complementing 3 LED boxes.

Luigi

Hi seeks Im batck to t5's I use from front to back:
blue+
purple+
coral+
blue +
the tank has a hint of blue like a 19000K Radium
I like ,nothing looks washed up and all the colors are popping including the red and yellow

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have heard that people are now switching back to T5's, though I have to say, I do like my LED's, but as always, looking at the best options.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Have the best of 3 worlds
250 radion Metal Halide
8 T5's combination of 3 and 4ft bulbs
And 2 LED strips and a Reefbrite LED strip.

Leds on first and last thing 12 hours, T5's 8 hours and MH 4 hrs a day.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Have the best of 3 worlds
250 radion Metal Halide
8 T5's combination of 3 and 4ft bulbs
And 2 LED strips and a Reefbrite LED strip.

Leds on first and last thing 12 hours, T5's 8 hours and MH 4 hrs a day.
8 bulbb t5 here, with 40 X 3 watt led supplement.
It grows stuff... 😁

Will Penfold

I have heard that people are now switching back to T5's, though I have to say, I do like my LED's, but as always, looking at the best options.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Haven't been in the hobby long enough to have started with T5's, gone to LED's and then come back to T5's.

Have only used LED's in the past. That being said, this time around I'm definitely "going back" to T5's. 6 bulb TEK T5 fixture. Hard to beat the simplicity of the T5's.

D

Dingets

I bought a two bulb retro kit from reef supplies to compliment my 3 LED boxes. Blue plus with an aqua blue special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRIANW

Geismann Matrix II 36" 8 Bulb & ReefBrite XHO on display

ATI 36" 6 Bulb & ReefBrite XHO on frag tank

Luigi

I loved my DIY leds especially last build with the 10 W chip,
I had all the sprectrum leds needed for the reef...but after so many years
needs to be reviwed again but unfortunately not time, and needed light soon.
so the best option was t5

Andrew D

I love my T5's although they can get quite costly to replace. I have a total of 24 bulbs over my 350 (2 four foot fixtures, 8 and 10 bulbs each) and 1 three foot 6 bulb fixture on the side of the 6 foot tank. Also have T5's over both of my frag tanks (4 foot 6 bulb fixtures each). They're all ATI fixtures (2 new the rest bought used) and a pain to remove to change bulbs or get better access to the tank but I love the spread, the versatility and the colour/growth I get. I use mostly blue plus, but each fixture has at least 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus, with the frag tanks having 2 coral plus for better growth. I also have supplemental LED lighting over my display in the form of 1 four foot reefbrite and 2 of those lights Shawn sells. I have only LEDs over my inline anemone tank and mantis tank though, mostly blue but a 50/50 on for 6 hours over my nem tank (avatar pic).

Maybe the subject of another post, but I tried extending the like of my bulbs after watching the BRS test that said the drop off on blue plus for example was minimal after 8-10 months, but replaced them once I started getting cyano in places I hadn't before. I also had colour loss on some of my sps. As I feed a lot and typically carry more than recommended phosphates and nitrates, from the reading I've done I know I need stronger lighting,

Niagarafirecorals

Sponsor
Sponsor
T5's for me here on my DT as well as my frag system. Those that know me have seen me go from T5 to all the best of leds and now back to T5s again. I could just never match the growth and that full blanket coverage you get from T5's when I went full Led. I do supplement with led rails front and back. I also had a very hard time with leds because of my OCD..
I was never happy with my programs and my color spectrum causing me to make adjustments all the time and we all know that is never good for anything in our systems. T5's also eliminated that for me as well😁