• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Canister vs nano skimmer

Codie

Currently running a Fluval 406 for my 50 gallon tank looking into a hydor slim skimmer. Do I run both filters or would the hydor slim skim be more then enough. Also would anyone recommend switching from the canister to the hydor slim skim or run it the way I have it?

Codie

Or buy an overflow box and build a sump. Trying to do things on a budget. And not sure if my tank is able to be drilled

Codie

I'm assuming it's full of water now correct?
Ya it is but YouTube said to use a tablet and polarized glasses so maybe on my next water change I can try than less there’s another way

Chris

I believe that a hang on overflow box is a safe, and easy option. I have been using one for many years and have never had an issue. I have in the past even used DIY plumbing to create overflows that were highly successful. My recommendation is to research, research, research; you can decide what fits your needs and budget.

Codie

Thanks for the reply ya research is key when starting a tank lots to learn have you ever heard of or have recommendations in using just a canister filter?

Chris

The problem with a canister filter is that all the filter media is out of site and out of mind. For me it would require a level of dedicated cleaning that I would not achieve. You can't see the build up of debris that breaks down and begins to pollute your water. Things can go bad quickly, I would not recommend this type of filtration for any long term success.

Codie

The problem with a canister filter is that all the filter media is out of site and out of mind. For me it would require a level of dedicated cleaning that I would not achieve. You can't see the build up of debris that breaks down and begins to pollute your water. Things can go bad quickly, I would not recommend this type of filtration for any long term success.
Thanks Chris I would love to do a tank with a small sump for coral and reef but also a larger tank with puffer fish tangs maybe an eel etc any recommendation on size I would need to hold a lot of thoughs fish a parrot fish angels and butteryfky fish would also be going in there. As for my tank now it’s not tempered from what I can tell so going to start a sump up soon hopefully lol

Chris

Thanks Chris I would love to do a tank with a small sump for coral and reef but also a larger tank with puffer fish tangs maybe an eel etc any recommendation on size I would need to hold a lot of thoughs fish a parrot fish angels and butteryfky fish would also be going in there. As for my tank now it’s not tempered from what I can tell so going to start a sump up soon hopefully lol
Hi Codie,
A sump is definitely a good way to go, it allows for evolving changes as your experience and/or budget grows. Like I said before, do your research, corals and some of the fish you mentioned have specific requirements for there tank size and level of care; requireing not only an investment of money, but time for there needs. Patience and thoughtful planning is key to success.

Codie

Hi Codie,
A sump is definitely a good way to go, it allows for evolving changes as your experience and/or budget grows. Like I said before, do your research, corals and some of the fish you mentioned have specific requirements for there tank size and level of care; requireing not only an investment of money, but time for there needs. Patience and thoughtful planning is key to success.
Ya going to pick up a 90 gallon tomorrow and going to slowly build the sump and all the parts but definitely making the change in good time. A side note my 55 gallon running for three weeks or 4 weeks lol and still showing about 1-3ppm of ammonia but also notice I have diatom algae and also green algae starting. Question is, is that normal even though the tank hasn’t cycled yet. Also noticing some purple spots on my dry rock that haven’t been there before.

Chris

Ya going to pick up a 90 gallon tomorrow and going to slowly build the sump and all the parts but definitely making the change in good time. A side note my 55 gallon running for three weeks or 4 weeks lol and still showing about 1-3ppm of ammonia but also notice I have diatom algae and also green algae starting. Question is, is that normal even though the tank hasn’t cycled yet. Also noticing some purple spots on my dry rock that haven’t been there before.
When it comes to cycling a tank, I don't think there is a normal for the different conditions that can happen. Number 1 thing to do is be patient and observe. Check out this video:
I have been guilty of just about everything he mentions.

Codie

Codie what is your ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels?
Still cycling looks like my ammonia is about 1ppm and hasn’t change in about a week still nothing showing for nitrite or nitrate. I just wasn’t sure if the rocks should have that purple spots shown during the cycle but I guess you never no lol

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Still cycling looks like my ammonia is about 1ppm and hasn’t change in about a week still nothing showing for nitrite or nitrate. I just wasn’t sure if the rocks should have that purple spots shown during the cycle but I guess you never no lol
Weird I was just wondering if you missed it that's all

Codie

Weird I was just wondering if you missed it that's all
Ya that’s what I was wondering to but still only ammonia so I’ll just keep my eye in it. This hobby is definitely addictive thought just went out and got a proper reef ready 90 gallon lol just have to find a sump and a few other items now before setting it up.

Codie

When it comes to cycling a tank, I don't think there is a normal for the different conditions that can happen. Number 1 thing to do is be patient and observe. Check out this video:
I have been guilty of just about everything he mentions.
Yup sounds a lot like me right now lol great video though.

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Definitely sump your tank as the canister option is a disaster waiting to happen I had a friend who ran a canister with major issues
nitrates would spike over night and kill everything. they would then clean and restart teh canister and a few months later bam same thing again, none of us keep the regimented schedule to do water changes and canister cleaning at the right time life gets in the way and before you know it everything crashes...
SUMP is the only way, multiple options to feed the sump drill, overflow box, etc

Codie

Definitely sump your tank as the canister option is a disaster waiting to happen I had a friend who ran a canister with major issues
nitrates would spike over night and kill everything. they would then clean and restart teh canister and a few months later bam same thing again, none of us keep the regimented schedule to do water changes and canister cleaning at the right time life gets in the way and before you know it everything crashes...
SUMP is the only way, multiple options to feed the sump drill, overflow box, etc
Ya I ended up buying a reef ready tank last night just trying to find a half decent used sump and skimmer to get me started