• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Salt recommendation?

Andrew D

Hey everyone. I know this is a tired topic but it's been a while since I've had to switch salts and in doing my research I thought I'd start here with folks who's thriving tanks I've seen. I've been using H2O for a while, really liked it's consistency and also the fact that it mixes to a low alk level which is where I keep my display. Unfortunately it's become hard to find, not sure why, and before I run out completely I figure I'd better use what I have left to transition to something else. With my no-less-than weekly 50G water changes I'm of course concerned about price, but probably more concerned about parameters like alk to which it mixes. Can you please let me know what you use, why, and for how long? I'm especially interested in hearing from those with sps tanks. Thanks in advance. Andrew

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Hey everyone. I know this is a tired topic but it's been a while since I've had to switch salts and in doing my research I thought I'd start here with folks who's thriving tanks I've seen. I've been using H2O for a while, really liked it's consistency and also the fact that it mixes to a low alk level which is where I keep my display. Unfortunately it's become hard to find, not sure why, and before I run out completely I figure I'd better use what I have left to transition to something else. With my no-less-than weekly 50G water changes I'm of course concerned about price, but probably more concerned about parameters like alk to which it mixes. Can you please let me know what you use, why, and for how long? I'm especially interested in hearing from those with sps tanks. Thanks in advance. Andrew
For me, since I use a calcium reactor, I'm not really concerned with a top notch salt. Really I'm looking for something that is close to normal parameters... otherwise I would cause a big swing during a water change. I use purple instant ocean

Luigi

Hi Andrew,
For years I have used Instant Ocean, with no issues, last year I switched to Frits Formulated for Reef,
just to try, and I have to say that my tank like it, after a waterchange the whole tank seems to be happy , I think I'm going to stick with it,
Ir mixes nicely , and that is very important to me, sometimes the water it's ready in a few hours nice and clear,