• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

water temperature

Andrew D

I didn't want to take Luke's thread in a different direction, but thought that I'd ask the wise and experienced how important they consider water temperature. I know like all things stability is key, so I'm asking more about the actual temperature. Myself I keep my tank relatively cool (mid 70s) because this is its ambient temperature without need for heaters (which I also hate from experience). My tank seems to do well but sometimes I wonder if I would get better coral growth or colour at a higher temperature.

Niagarafirecorals

Sponsor
Sponsor
I keep my system at 78 degrees and it never fluctuates past 78.2 so I keep mine extremely stable. This of course could directly relate to my OCD as some say I have lol

Andrew D

sorry, I don't know your wife, but mine says the same thing about me, especially the care I take within a hobby that she knows or cares nothing about

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I maintain 77.2, corals thrive, I used to use the seasonal variation that's built into Apex but in the middle of summer it would be holding my tank around 80 and I didn't like that

Cliff

What’s the opposite of OCD? I think that’s what I have LOL my temperature swings wildly. Half of you guys would be aghast if you saw how much my temperature does move.😬 this is actually quite calm but I think my temperature goes anywhere from 76 up to 79

Attachments

• 36D3F29B-EB57-46AD-9A1D-5EB25F3EC590.png
    36D3F29B-EB57-46AD-9A1D-5EB25F3EC590.png
    545 KB · Views: 3

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
What’s the opposite of OCD? I think that’s what I have LOL my temperature swings wildly. Half of you guys would be aghast if you saw how much my temperature does move.😬 this is actually quite calm but I think my temperature goes anywhere from 76 up to 79
What is your set point cliff? do you not have enough wattage for heat then?

Andrew D

I'm like you Cliff. Although many say I too have OCD I've never really worried about tank temperature. The key for me though is that I don't have an apex or any sort of monitoring system so I am blissfully ignorant. YOu can't fuss over what you don't know lol.