• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

First Timer

Codie

hey guys heard about this forum through a friend of a friend. I am very new to this hobby and since I started I can't stop. looking for any advice on setting up a 75-90 gallon tank also looking to see if there's anything out there for sale or if someone would like to part with. currently I am running a 55 gallon with a canister filter but would like to get more into it with a bigger tank and sump set up. looking at drop in skimmers for my tank now as its a fish only tank but would love to add some coral could I put coral in there with the canister filter or should I get a skimmer as well. thanks in advance guys.

Cliff

Staff member
Welcome to Reefescape! I have started out the exact same as you. I came to the realization that in order to have a decent tank and room for the equipment that you actually need, you pretty much need a sump. There are some very good hanging on skimmers. Deltec makes a really nice one that they’ve been making forever so you should be able to find one used for a decent price. I have a very nice cube tank. I think it’s 65 gallon. It has a slight chip out of the corner but I would sell it to you dirt cheap if you’re interested. What are you using for lights? That makes a big difference if you can grow coral also

Codie

Hey thanks for the reply. I have t8s a marine glow and then a white one that big Al’s told me to use. I do want to run a sump but wanna get more info before making the jump looking at running my set up for a year then making the change. Just doing fish only maybe a few little coral for now. How much are you looking to get for the tank and is it drilled for a sump? Also would I run the deltec at the same time as my canister?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Welcome to Reef Escape if you're looking for used equipment Cliff is one of my favourites!

Codie

Welcome to Reef Escape if you're looking for used equipment Cliff is one of my favourites!
Awesome thanks for tip. I am going to be looking for a drop in skimmer for sure just to help things out till I’m ready for a new tank and sump.

Codie

Hey guys another question so my tank is going on 1 week with live rock live sand and a bottle of bacteria. Also I have to small clown fish in there. I have an ammonia alert on the side of the tank. That has very few different colour dots in it and only at night. My question is should I do a water change or wait for about two weeks before doing my first one. All I have is a Fluval canister filter 407 the tank has 45 gallons of water in it. Just not sure if I should do a water change this week or wait another week. Thanks in advance guys

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Hey guys another question so my tank is going on 1 week with live rock live sand and a bottle of bacteria. Also I have to small clown fish in there. I have an ammonia alert on the side of the tank. That has very few different colour dots in it and only at night. My question is should I do a water change or wait for about two weeks before doing my first one. All I have is a Fluval canister filter 407 the tank has 45 gallons of water in it. Just not sure if I should do a water change this week or wait another week. Thanks in advance guys
So from what I gather you are cycling your tank but you started with live rock and live sand is that a correct assumption?

And do you have an ammonia test kit, a nitrite test kit, and a nitrate test kit?

Codie

So from what I gather you are cycling your tank but you started with live rock and live sand is that a correct assumption?

And do you have an ammonia test kit, a nitrite test kit, and a nitrate test kit?
Correct and I have the strips and there is a ammonia alert badge inside that the fellow at under the sea said to use going to buy an actually test kit this weekend though.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Correct and I have the strips and there is a ammonia alert badge inside that the fellow at under the sea said to use going to buy an actually test kit this weekend though.
The fellow at under the sea is very knowledgeable he knows his stuff, he is on the board, mr.wilson. the ammonia alert badge is good cuz you can check at a glance, but eventually the ammonia will turn into nitrite and then turn into nitrate once you have nitrate present then the cycle is complete , but until then it is not advisable to do any water changes

Codie

The fellow at under the sea is very knowledgeable he knows his stuff, he is on the board, mr.wilson. the ammonia alert badge is good cuz you can check at a glance, but eventually the ammonia will turn into nitrite and then turn into nitrate once you have nitrate present then the cycle is complete , but until then it is not advisable to do any water changes
Ok so just let the tank run with out water changes until I have successfully cycled. once I get the kit what would I be looking for zero ammonia I would guess and what about nitrite and nitrate what would be good levels to reach for

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Ok so just let the tank run with out water changes until I have successfully cycled. once I get the kit what would I be looking for zero ammonia I would guess and what about nitrite and nitrate what would be good levels to reach for
Once you have nitrate present (a,descent amount) then you have cultured the bacteria. In my experience after that point you shouldn't be able to detect ammonia or nitrite unless something is going on.

Codie

Once you have nitrate present (a,descent amount) then you have cultured the bacteria. In my experience after that point you shouldn't be able to detect ammonia or nitrite unless something is going on.
Awesome thanks Luke for all your help any suggestions on what test kit I should get? Is the api kit an ok choice ?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Awesome thanks Luke for all your help any suggestions on what test kit I should get? Is the api kit an ok choice ?
For nitrates I personally like the red sea pro kit, but it is time consuming, over 10 minutes to complete. I have never had luck with the API nitrate test kit it would always show zero when in fact I was 25

Codie

Hey guys quick question so my tank is about three weeks old and starting to notice some brown stuff on my sand diatoms maybe? Do I let them run the course or should I be concerned my ammonia is just starting to very slowly rise no nitrites or nitrates yet.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Hey guys quick question so my tank is about three weeks old and starting to notice some brown stuff on my sand diatoms maybe? Do I let them run the course or should I be concerned my ammonia is just starting to very slowly rise no nitrites or nitrates yet.
Are you running lights while cycling? The bacteria you are trying to culture dont require light. But as per the brown stuff I was hoping Niagarafirecorals would chime in

Codie

Are you running lights while cycling? The bacteria you are trying to culture dont require light. But as per the brown stuff I was hoping Niagarafirecorals would chime in
Ya I have the lights on but going to turn them off and only run them for an hour while we are watching tv

Niagarafirecorals

Sponsor
Sponsor
In my experience turning the lights out will just prolong the inevitable. Let it run its course which it NEEDS to do. Once you get past the brown stage ( diatoms ) you will start to see green algae followed by what your after and that's your coraline algae. Keep a close eye on your water parameters and make sure they stay stable. No3 and Po4 are your friend you do not want these at 0 like you may have read. Keeping them at 0 you are asking for Dino's which believe me you do not want to get into a battle with especially being new to the hobby. Try keeping No3 between 5ppm to 10ppm and po4 between 0.03 and 0.08 this will help keep Dino's at bay and everything in the system will do great. It's a slow process starting a system don't try to rush it nothing good happens in this hobby guickly. My current system 400 total gallons took almost 2.5 months to go through all the stages and started growing coraline. Hope this helps Cheers.

Codie

In my experience turning the lights out will just prolong the inevitable. Let it run its course which it NEEDS to do. Once you get past the brown stage ( diatoms ) you will start to see green algae followed by what your after and that's your coraline algae. Keep a close eye on your water parameters and make sure they stay stable. No3 and Po4 are your friend you do not want these at 0 like you may have read. Keeping them at 0 you are asking for Dino's which believe me you do not want to get into a battle with especially being new to the hobby. Try keeping No3 between 5ppm to 10ppm and po4 between 0.03 and 0.08 this will help keep Dino's at bay and everything in the system will do great. It's a slow process starting a system don't try to rush it nothing good happens in this hobby guickly. My current system 400 total gallons took almost 2.5 months to go through all the stages and started growing coraline. Hope this helps Cheers.
Ya thanks a million. I am currently build a 90 set up right now with sump and skimmer etc then going to cycle it and transfer my stuff into once it’s cycled. I think I have no3 now but still have a touch of ammonia as for nitrite my test kick hasn’t shown any thing yet. Btw I’m the guy that was with Kc when he was messaging you about tips a few weeks ago lol