• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

My 350G display, 700G system...

Andrew D

Hi everyone. I work in health care and the pandemic is of course keeping us hopping, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to put into this thread. I would like however to introduce you to my 700G system, consisting of a custom 350G display (72*42*28), a 150G sump, a custom 100G anemone tank, a custom 20G mantis tank and a stock 90G tank as an in-line frag, detritus trap lol. The system is about 8 years old I think (need to go back into the pictures to see) and I had a really nice build thread on the old reefescape.ca site that chronicled the setup. It replaced a 150G reef tank that replaced a 38G freshwater tank. I started with the 350G display and sump, and the other tanks got added through the years. I'm pretty handy and love to tinker, so I've made full use of the space available to me to create different environments for the livestock I want to keep. Of course I have a bunch of other tanks not connected to the main system including a custom 70G frag tank and numerous QT tanks tucked away. I'm really lucky because my system is on the basement floor of my 4-level sidesplit, build into the wall separating my man-cave (72 inch TV that used to look big) and an unfinished basement that houses the furnace, electrical box and washer/dryer. I've become the laundry person in the house because I don't trust my wife with bleach back there. I've been put on notice that I'm not allowed any more tanks back there, but for my 50th last year I did get permission to build a FOWL on the next level up, we are just negotiating size :).

Anyway, for now a few pictures below of the display....

thumbnail_IMG_2041.jpegthumbnail_IMG_2039.jpegthumbnail_IMG_2038.jpeg

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
i got to see this in person once many years ago.... hopefully covid is done soon and we can get back to reefescape meetings...

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Wow Andrew a very vibrant reef amazing pictures

Cliff

Staff member
Beautiful tank Andrew it’s been along time since I’ve seen it in person but it looks great!

Andrew D

Thanks everyone. Its changed a lot since people were last here, with some things thriving and other things not. This hobby can be very gratifying and very frustrating at times, I've learned the hard way to accept the ups and downs and just enjoy the amazing biodiversity that exists. I usually let nature take it's course and don't do a lot of pruning unless I'm at risk of losing something I really value. Unfortunately I recently lost my 4 year in captivity achilles because I didn't move quickly enough after the scales finally tipped against him with the other tangs in the tank. That really sucked.