• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Overflow

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I know this question has been posted on several sites, so I figured I would ask the question here, more so for resource purposes.

What overflow do you prefer and why?

Durso - I find this to be the most common, easy, trustworthy and just drill the top and insert air hose to silence - no gurgle
Herbie - best for no noise, but you have to adjust valve
Bean - never used
Maggie Muffler - never used
Other - diy, basically maggie muffler's

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I run dual durso in my system, the vent hose is cut at a specific height, so in the event of a blockage, the water will block the siphon break and go full siphon... lol

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I used to use the durso but found difficult to keep full syphon lots of surges and gurgling very frustrating to balance.
So last 10 years or so i have used a herbie with an oh shit relief pipe which has actually been utilized about 3 times in past 10 years after a snail or two when for at walk where not needed.

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I guess my biggest issue is I have 14ft of a horizontal run, so herbie is likely out of the question. Dorasl is likely then.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I guess my biggest issue is I have 14ft of a horizontal run, so herbie is likely out of the question. Dorasl is likely then.
I used Herbie in my 120, with sump in basement... it just took a while for it to balance itself out after the event of a power outage.