• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Ozone

coachV

Anyone has experience using ozone on their reef? Anyone could share their experience please? Lots of mixed opinions out there from ''don't touch'' to ''it's very helpful''.

Luigi

hello I did use it years ago, its an oxidazier, for proper use you will need a controller and to be specific you need an ORP controller
this way you dont run the risk of overdosing it,
I was running the tubing in the skimmer inlet instead to have a bubbler in the sump,
I was running it on a digital timer 1 minute 6 times a day, untill the timer got stuck on ON'
and lost few corals, UV sterilizer work in the similar way but if you leave it on it wont kill fish or corals just anything that passes through
the UV light from protozoans, algea, copepods, etc,
hope this helps

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I run ozone once a week for 4 hours just to polish the water... put a piece of paper on the end glass of your tank and look long ways through the tank at it... what color is the white paper? Ozone can polish that right up.

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
What oxonizer does everyone use?

Last edited:

Luigi

hey Luke Why are you dosing tha amount at once instead of micro dosing?
you are exposing the corals from 0 to 100 in a short term ,
light penetration will double
plus the great amount of oxidizing agent in the water at once
its like going from the basement to suntanning 😁 😁

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
hey Luke Why are you dosing tha amount at once instead of micro dosing?
you are exposing the corals from 0 to 100 in a short term ,
light penetration will double
plus the great amount of oxidizing agent in the water at once
its like going from the basement to suntanning 😁 😁
I'm using the Red Sea ozonizer it's only capable of making 100mg/hr. With 350 gal total water volume I was unaware that I would shock anyting.
I only like to run the ozone if I'm home and I am babysitting it.
Do you think a hundred mg an hour for 4 hours once a week is too much?

Luigi

I'm just thinking that you dose at once but I could be wrong

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I'm really debating on whether or not to grab an ozonator. I have the Hydros and and orp probe and a IceCapp K2 skimmer with the ozone input, just to polish the water. Do any of you add carbon filter to the top of you skimmer for safety reasons for it?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I'm really debating on whether or not to grab an ozonator. I have the Hydros and and orp probe and a IceCapp K2 skimmer with the ozone input, just to polish the water. Do any of you add carbon filter to the top of you skimmer for safety reasons for it?
I never did... but I have a larger skimmer and a smaller (100mg/hour) ozoneator.
I never smelled ozone around my sump either.

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
So I decided to grab one of those weilder 50 to 200mg/h ozoneator that it connects to my skimmer. I have it on a low setting, with the Hydros contoller to turn on ozone below 330 and off at 350 mV. I also set it to turn off if running over 6hrs in a row. The question is, it will run for 6 hours, not hit target and turn off. Is this typical as my tank typically says runs around 127mV? Should i give some more ozone to hit this target?

Luigi

I'd say to stay in the safe limit, of 340 mv, in this hobby more is never better,
Just my 2 cents