• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Big issues need advice

Codie

Hate to post this but hey can’t learn if You don’t make mistakes.

So everything in my tank has been awesome slowly adding fish got four tangs two clown fish 5 hermits and 5 ninja snails. Also got my first anemone and zoa. So I have been having trouble adding shrimp and snails they would die with in a couple hours. I have gone through four batches which is getting expensive. So I set up to do a water change and realized my turbo snails I added last Wednesday were dead once again. Turns out I made a big rookie mistake. When I bought my refractometer I didn’t realize I bought one for making beer wine etc so it was for sugar levels not salt fml. That being said my salinity was sky high and didn’t even no it until now. Did a bunch of water changes got my salinity where it needs to be but now the question is. Is all of my bacteria dead and I’m I going to kill my fish if the ammonia starts to climb? Should I be adding more bacteria or see how it goes?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Sorry for your troubles as soon as I started reading your post my first instinct was salinity is off. sure enough further in the report you showed that refractometer was the wrong one.
Have you figured out what your salinity really is right now?

Codie

Ya I got it down to 1.024 but my hydrometer was maxed out so no clue what it was the fish are going crazy now picking at the rocks and four of my snails that I put in seem to be moving now but the rest died. What a learning curve this Hobby is

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Trust me when I say this, we have all made mistakes in this hobby!!!

Codie

Oh I believe it. But in a weird way it’s fun figuring out what is wrong and fixing it lol not that I want to make mistakes but hey got learn to walk before you can run lol. Any tips on getting hard green algae off my sand? I am going to add some more snails now that I have my water figured out lol any other tips. I broke it all up last night and stirred the sand bed up but now I got clumps of green algae mixed it not sure if it’s something that is normal or if I should be worried

Luigi

Unfortunately all takes time. Check the water quality from the filter. nutrients in the water, good skimming, good husbandry..
Snails.. Crabs.. and urchins are...
The band -aid. Which we all love them in our tanks .the other thing you can do is to manually remove as my as you can..

Codie

What about a sand sifting goby would that be wise to put in there or stay away from them I have read mixed reviews lol

Luigi

I do have a diamond goby and also I gave sugar size sand ....personally. I love both. I might add another goby in the future
Great addition

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
i had a similar issue many years ago as the salinity was 1.032 only certain corals thrived everything else suffered took a couple months to realize the refractometer was calibrated wrong, as it was always reading 1.025. simple issues create major problems if not resolved