• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Caulerpa- horror stories?

Will Penfold

Luke's post on refugium lighting got me thinking about macro algaes.

Does anyone use grape caulerpa as their macro algae of choice? I've heard horror stories of it going sexual and overrunning a tank.

Anyone experience that? or have overall good luck with it?

In my previous tanks I always struggled to keep chaeto alive (despite having nutrients in the tank and good grow light) So i'm considering trying something other than chaeto this time around.

Bill 6069

Years ago I had grape caulerpa growing in 100 gallon fish only tank. Everything was good when I went to bed. I left for work before the lights came on but when I got home, the tank was green and most of the fish were dead. I moved the live fish into an upcycled tank. In the end out off twenty or so fish two or three survived. I have never caulerpa since.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Years ago I had grape caulerpa growing in 100 gallon fish only tank. Everything was good when I went to bed. I left for work before the lights came on but when I got home, the tank was green and most of the fish were dead. I moved the live fish into an upcycled tank. In the end out off twenty or so fish two or three survived. I have never caulerpa since.
holy cow.... ever figure out what happened?

Cliff

Staff member
I have had it in past tanks for years and never had a problem

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I struggle to keep Chaeto also, so I now grow (very well) razor leaf algae great for tangs too, as I also found Caulerpa breaks down or goes asexual and disintegrates causing algae blooms in the tank.

Will Penfold

I struggle to keep Chaeto also, so I now grow (very well) razor leaf algae great for tangs too, as I also found Caulerpa breaks down or goes asexual and disintegrates causing algae blooms in the tank.
Razor leaf algae eh? I'll have to look into that.

I feel like the potential risks of caulerpa outweigh the benefits

Will Penfold

Hey Limey, where did you happen to acquire razor leaf algae? I've done some searching online and can't find much on it.

Cliff

Staff member
I have some in my fuge right now I can give you
There is a constant battle between razor leaf and chaeto I actually think that razor leaf is winning at the moment

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have it plenty and willing to share, I am not sure where I first got it. I have had Razor leaf or variations there off for the past 10 - 15 years

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have some in my fuge right now I can give you
There is a constant battle between razor leaf and chaeto I actually think that razor leaf is winning at the moment
Next please

Will Penfold

I have it plenty and willing to share, I am not sure where I first got it. I have had Razor leaf or variations there off for the past 10 - 15 year

Thanks Limey and Cliff for offering some razor leaf. Will gladly take some. Do you want anything for it? Also when could I pick some up?