• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Clean in Place (CIP) Sump

Philip

I want to have a way to clean my sump or keep it clean by having my Skimmer do all the work!

What do you think of the idea of circulating water to create regular "turbulence events" with return pump off and skimmer on and one or two pumps circulating from the chambers you want clean to the skimmer chamber.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but could it work ?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I want to have a way to clean my sump or keep it clean by having my Skimmer do all the work!

What do you think of the idea of circulating water to create regular "turbulence events" with return pump off and skimmer on and one or two pumps circulating from the chambers you want clean to the skimmer chamber.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but could it work ?
First potential issue I see is the water level rising when return pump is off, therefore throwing off skimmer setting.

Even in my 220 gallon, with 135 sump and monster pump chamber in sump, my skimmer section still rises when return us off.

Philip

First potential issue I see is the water level rising when return pump is off, therefore throwing off skimmer setting.

Even in my 220 gallon, with 135 sump and monster pump chamber in sump, my skimmer section still rises when return us off.
Good point, the overflow would need to be closed at the same time the return pump is turned off - I think thats achievable if I add a shut off below the existing control valve - Having the sump Isolated is definitely needed for Skimmer function.

Andrew D

I guess it woudl also depend on the baffles in your sump. YOu wouldn't want your skimmer in the first section but could you not create a stable level in your second section by having an overflow on either side with the return pump and the variable water levels in the last section? But maybe that defeats the purpose because the skimmer will only clean the middle section I guess.