• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Container for sump

Andrew D

Hey everyone. I've been absent for a while with a bunch of personal life distractions. Father passed from liver cancer about a month ago and my mother just got out of hospital with covid-induced dizziness and a fall. Other stuff too but those are the biggies. They say bad things come in threes so I've got my fingers crossed waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Anyway, I have been planning my large FOWLR tank for a while and am finally ready to order the tank. I'm going to go with John at NAFB as he's done a good job with a few tanks already including my 350G reef which he built in my living room. Glass has gone up a lot in the last few years and this tank is going to cost me so I'm hoping to avoid paying too much for a sump. I was thinking of going with one or more large plastic containers and I know some on this site have experience with these as sumps, top-off containers or fresh saltwater storage. Would appreciate hearing from any of you with suggestions as to what I can use.

Thanks in advance. Andrew2

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
You could use one of the tanks from our sponsors at Ontario Agra they are all food grade containers... just as an idea...

Andrew D

Thanks Luke. I thought of that but I'm looking for something that's open on top and the pictures seem to all show closed containers. It also needs to be a low enough profile to fit under my display.

Cliff

Staff member
Sorry to hear about your loss and the sickness in your family Andrew. What size containers were you looking at approximately? I don’t have anything but maybe I can keep an eye open

Andrew D

Thanks Cliff. My tank will be about 66 by 48 (with a height of 36 inches) so something probably no larger than 55 by 36? and a heightnot greater than 20 inches? I have so little room under my reef I don't want to make that same mistake with this one. I'm also willing to go with 2 containers plumbed together, I'd just have to figure out how to configure these with internal skimmer.

Luigi

sorry to hear about your loss Andrew.
I did used at early years a rubbermade container for a year and half, with no problems, it was with a mag 8 in sump,
so was NOT drilled

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
sorry to hear about your loss Andrew.
I did used at early years a rubbermade container for a year and half, with no problems, it was with a mag 8 in sump,
so was NOT drilled
As I understand all Rubbermaid containers are food grade

Andrew D

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards using a few of those green rubbermaid bins, plumbed together to get more volume and to simulate the sections of a sump. I think I can fit three under the tank so first one would be a refugium of sorts, second would be where the skimmer sits and the third would house the return pump. First and second bins would have bulkheads towards the top to maintain a constant water level while the third would vary depending on system volume with enough of a buffer to ensure they don't overflow if the pumps shut off. The first bin would have some sort of refugium and the second would house the skimmer. Kind of a crude description but does anyone see any problems with this set-up? I can't use those fancy drawing programs they use on other forums....

Andrew D

Hi again. Does anyone know if these rubbermaid bins are food grade and reef safe? I sent a question to their customer care people but have not yet heard back. Dimensions are perfect....

Attachments

• rubbermaid container.jpeg
    rubbermaid container.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
andrew i have several 55 gallon plastic drums you could cut these to whatever height you wished to create an open top container i have one i use to cure Live rock in and added a tap to drain it so you could plumb them easily.

just a thought...oh! and cost is FREE!!!

Andrew D

Thanks very much Tony. What's the diameter of the base and do you think they'd retain their rigidity if I cut them down to say 18 inches?