• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Dinoflagellates - ewww

Rookie

Hey all, so turns out my though about the phosphates creeping up may be Dinoflagellates. Did a water change and they seem to double over night. Past experience (limited as it may be) tells me that the 0 nitrates i was so proud of probably isn't helping, lol

So, I can go all out here and just start taking mad changes , but I'm hoping you all have more a more structured approach to this

Andrew D

That sucks. I've never had them (knock on wood) but there are lots of threads on other forums of people trying different things. One thing that I hear consistently is that they are fueled by water changes. Good luck!

Luigi

I had in the past but one summer day my tank temperature went up to 82 F for few days, the plague never came back again,
Also try to raise the PH a bit,
I would try the temperature trick, it doesn't cost money
Just make sure it stays at that temperature not higher

Taryn

I had them once , I did a 3 day blackout and added a UV Sterilzer at the same time. I’m fairly new to the hobby so others may have more advice. But that approach worked for me and I’ve never had them back 🤞

Rookie

Update: Bumped temp up to 83 for a few days, seems to have done the trick. Tank looks good,