• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Just a good laugh!

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have been in this hobby for a while, with both success and lots of failure. I consider myself on the low end of knowledge, but have done tons of research. Practices change as time changes (Deep Sand Bed to no sand bed, MH to led to T5, etc...), but one thing that does not change, little details. I thought I would share this as a reminder of how easy this hobby can toss you down a rabbit hole. Long winded preamble. With my new tank, I put in some macro algae and bam, it didn't last long. I immediately recognized the problem and it was the light being to high and not effective, so I replaced the light. I grabbed some more macro and wow did it grow, until it didn't. I tested the water, I had nitrates, the fish were doing their thing, etc. Started reading other threads etc and questioning everything. I was about to start tossing money at it, supplements, possible macro reactor, etc and then tonight! I decided to change the light time for the refugium and noticed the light was not turning on! Yep, after all that, I had hit the plug at some point, and the light was not turning on. I then noticed that some of my nuisance algae was not growing in the sump as well. All those little details I should have picked up, and didn't because I didn't check the most obvious first! Wow I love this hobby. Sometimes, it is just that simple!

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have been in this hobby for a while, with both success and lots of failure. I consider myself on the low end of knowledge, but have done tons of research. Practices change as time changes (Deep Sand Bed to no sand bed, MH to led to T5, etc...), but one thing that does not change, little details. I thought I would share this as a reminder of how easy this hobby can toss you down a rabbit hole. Long winded preamble. With my new tank, I put in some macro algae and bam, it didn't last long. I immediately recognized the problem and it was the light being to high and not effective, so I replaced the light. I grabbed some more macro and wow did it grow, until it didn't. I tested the water, I had nitrates, the fish were doing their thing, etc. Started reading other threads etc and questioning everything. I was about to start tossing money at it, supplements, possible macro reactor, etc and then tonight! I decided to change the light time for the refugium and noticed the light was not turning on! Yep, after all that, I had hit the plug at some point, and the light was not turning on. I then noticed that some of my nuisance algae was not growing in the sump as well. All those little details I should have picked up, and didn't because I didn't check the most obvious first! Wow I love this hobby. Sometimes, it is just that simple!
I love the challenges in this hobby... definately one of the best hobbies to have during the current situation... lol