• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Moon lights

coachV

Moon lights or no moon lights? Any effect on Ph and coral photosynthesis? I like the look, I don't have any and I'm trying to gather input before I purchase any.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Personally i like the look, as well as night time viewing pleasure, i use the lunar sim module and it mimicks the lunar cycle, (to a T) i might add...
from what i understand it helps the fish (clowns especially) with their spawning cycle)
hopefully someone else can chime in, as i understand if you are too bright it can screw with corals...

Luigi

I love the look I don't think that will alter the PH In any
Direction,or photosynthesis,
When the light is on everything in the tank has a different atmosphere, plus as Luke mentioned above it might help with the spawning, after an hour or so I can see the corals feeding tentacles I guess that might be stimulating the feeding time for some corals
( zooplankton and phytoplankton)

Al B

I love the lunar but controlling with just a timer kinda sucks ....Luke what is "lunar sim module"....part of your Apex unit?

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I used to use a timer for the building moonlights ....ok but not great same look every night

THEN!! i was given a Lunar sim for my Apex by Rick D at Ocean abyss aquatics... and well WOW!!! it changes the brightness based on the real Lunar cycle so some days almost as bight as a regular light others maybe next to no moon light, and everything in between. Certainly helps with coral feeding and spawning of all creatures. Also I add my coral supplements just before lights out and moon lights come on.

Last edited:

Luigi

I love the lunar but controlling with just a timer kinda sucks ....Luke what is "lunar sim module"....part of your Apex unit?
lol Alb its another expensive piece fort the hobby 😁 nice if you can afford it..
My DIY!
I have 2, 1 foot 12V blue 440 -445 nm from princess auto = $ 12.00 for both
old home 9V phone charger mmm free
CT timer $ 8,99
total 20.99

and I see feeding tentacles at night... so somehow I think its working, dont feel bad about your moon

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Luigi, I followed your diy from princess auto and bam. I have to say they look amazing! Once I rebuild the canopy, I will start taking pics!