• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

New Tank Cycle

MikeyD

So I have been cycling my tank for almost 2 weeks. I cut up some shrimp and left it in the tank. It looks like a cotton ball. It has been in the tank for 3 days. The ammonia is showing 5ppm and nitrite is also around 5ppm. Should I leave the shrimp in the tank and continue to breakdown or remove it? I also have a good Diatom bloom happening. Thoughts?

Luigi

Nope remove it, ammonia should be 0 before fish goes in , and nitrite is something else you should check

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
So I have been cycling my tank for almost 2 weeks. I cut up some shrimp and left it in the tank. It looks like a cotton ball. It has been in the tank for 3 days. The ammonia is showing 5ppm and nitrite is also around 5ppm. Should I leave the shrimp in the tank and continue to breakdown or remove it? I also have a good Diatom bloom happening. Thoughts?
Any nitrates yet?
Also are you running your lights?
running lights during a cycle fuels algae growth. The bacteria you are trying to culture dont require light...

MikeyD

Last tested on Sunday May 3. Ammonia and Nitrites are showing 0 to .25ppm. Nitrates were showing 10ppm. Did a 10% water change. Yes lights have been on but I shut them off the last week. Just completed my 3rd week. Also removed the shrimp and yes it stinks. lol.