• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Palytoxin Ride

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Wow, I have read and spoke to fellow reefers on the danger of palytoxin, but I never knew that it could go airborne!

I was migrating tanks which has been a disaster to start with as I was upgrading from 125 to 165. A wicked tank, it looked 0brand new, purchased from Market Place, and told it was a Miracles tank, but once I finally plumbed it and tested it, the front glass almost fell off. In comes Carl, which miracles recommend, he was amazing, however slices his arm bad ( watch the video on his youtube channel) while fixing the tank. This set us back in our timeline big time.

Thanks Shawn Wilson for the staging bin.

Unfortunately, I lost most of my corals and fish in the last 5 month migration, what a gong show! In the last three days, the wife and I did the big push for the migration to the new tank. That being said, we went hard on the aquascape habitat for the inhabitants.

Last night was the final push and we started fraging the zoas and bam. A metallic taste in the air, followed by coughing, thought is was an ammonia pocket that may have formed in the staging tank, and released when taking everything out. Tested water multiple times for ammonia and 0. Didn't think to much about it until 4 hours later, I could not think straight, the chest was tight, bad coughing, the worst cold chills I ever had, but not just me, the wife and family. Scary stuff, we are all on the mend, but wow, what a crazy 24 hours.

The new tank looks awesome, wishing I had all my corals back, but we will get there...

Hey Luke, you trimming your tank anytime soon haha.

I figured I would share my story, as it is real! Just glad we are all safe!

Cliff

Staff member
Oh man I hope everyone is safe! I’ve had a run in with polytoxin also. Wasn't good. It made me reconsider if I even want pallys in my tank.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I believe I had a very mild case of it just a Rash on my arm