• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Plumbing in a QT /frag tang

Rookie

So I was able to pickup 2 drilled tanks. A 30 tall and 30 gallon standard. Not sure which i am using yet, either way they will be gravity fed back to the sump.

When plumbing in supply, anyone have opinions on:

separate pump to move the water from sump to QT

or

branoff directly off the return? i have plenty of pump power left to do this and still balance return

Gravity won't allow me to branch off the drain.

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Branch off so if anytime you have an issues huge you main off then you know everything off...

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
When you're branching off the main to run auxiliary tanks just remember to have siphon breaks... when power goes out and stuff back siphon weird things happen

Rookie

One more question, its filled and ready to go, should I do a few 5 gallon water changes and put the old tank water in "frag" tank to balance out the system a little or is adding 30 gallons of fresh mixed salt ok? Seems like id be doing a large water change when my system is running lean to begin with (hannah kit just started registering nitrates)

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Generally for me if the salinity and alkalinity and temperature are good then I treat it as a water change , I've never had any issues, that being said 30 gallon on my system would only be a 10% water change