• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Razor Leaf Macro Algae

Will Penfold

Its been a while since my last post, busy spring and all. But wanted to post about razor leaf macro algae. Both Limey and Cliff suggested I try it out instead of chaeto. As a side note, I cannot grow chaeto whatsoever- it keeps dying.

Anyways, Cliff gave me some razor leaf about 2 months ago, and holy crap does it work. Its been about a month since my last water change, and tested my NO3 & PO4 this afternoon. Both sitting at 0- mind you I'm using salifert/not a Hanna digital, but the test wasn't registering any colour. Crazy how good that razor leaf works.

Now granted, I know they say having absolutely 0 NO3 and PO4 can lead to dino's...however I do not have them in my tank even with the low nutrients.

Just posting to talk about how effective razor leaf algae is.

Cliff

Staff member
That’s good news. Brstv does a great Video with an explanation of how you can use your light timing to dial in the nutrition level of your tank. It’s some thing I need to work on to but theoretically you can use the on off cycle of the light to stop the algae from feeding and give you a bit of nutrients or vice versa.

Andrew D

I wouldn't mind some myself, my ATS isn't working as well as it used to. Is razor leaf a form of caulerpa, I've always been warned against that given the possibility of it spawning (vs; chaeto doesn't do).

Will Penfold

both of you are welcome to a handful of it- its growing quite steadily in my fuge. As for if its a caulerpa, I don't believe it is.

I'm in Dunnville if you want to take a trip out to grab some razor leaf.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I will take you up on that soon I still have that piece of red Monti cap for you to I'll bring it with

Will Penfold

crap I totally forgot about the red monti! but thanks man sounds good/ let me know when you want to stop by.

Andrew D

Thanks Will. I live in Burlington so it'll be a little longer for me, but I'll pm you in a bit to see when you're around. thanks. ANdrew

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Might be time soon for a meeting once everything opens back up
And I can bring some razorleaf

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I'm in and Luke, I have a ton of razor as well if you need some... courtesy of Tony.