• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

refugium lighting......

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
i know i have asked 100 times... but what is everyone using for refugium lighting.... i cant grow cheato to save my life.... i am about 1 click away from buying that new grow light that apex is pushing now.... doesn't matter if i have .09 po4 and 5 ppm nitrate, still cant grow cheato.

seeks

Founder/Admin
Staff member
i know i have asked 100 times... but what is everyone using for refugium lighting.... i cant grow cheato to save my life.... i am about 1 click away from buying that new grow light that apex is pushing now.... doesn't matter if i have .09 po4 and 5 ppm nitrate, still cant grow cheato.

Bern running this light for two weeks and wow! Chaeto has taken off....https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DJ5WZQD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

D

Dingets

I have the exact same problem Luke.
Just recently decided to try again.
Had a spare AI Prime HD laying around so I pumped up the red and blue channels and run it for 12 hours
I’m also dosing ferrous gluconate as per Randy’s Recipes and added a small wave maker to keep it rolling around my sump.
It’s been about 3 weeks now. It hasn’t shrunk, but it hasn’t grown any either.
Just tested today... .25 no3/ .074 no4.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I have the exact same problem Luke.
Just recently decided to try again.
Had a spare AI Prime HD laying around so I pumped up the red and blue channels and run it for 12 hours
I’m also dosing ferrous gluconate as per Randy’s Recipes and added a small wave maker to keep it rolling around my sump.
It’s been about 3 weeks now. It hasn’t shrunk, but it hasn’t grown any either.
Just tested today... .25 no3/ .074 no4.
I've tested everything... grow lights, CFL incandescent... no luck with cheato...
Calerpa grows like a weed.

Mack17

This is all I’ve ever used and I’ve never had issues. I think it was like $15

Attachments

• B9254736-C37D-4F22-8EFC-E89704C8C9F7.jpeg
    B9254736-C37D-4F22-8EFC-E89704C8C9F7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Will Penfold

Feel your pain on that one. I've struggled to grow chaeto before as well. This time around I bought a kessil H160 refugium light.....and it hasn't helped at all. my current chaeto certainly isn't growing. Not shrinking either, but not growing.

D

Dingets

Feel your pain on that one. I've struggled to grow chaeto before as well. This time around I bought a kessil H160 refugium light.....and it hasn't helped at all. my current chaeto certainly isn't growing. Not shrinking either, but not growing.
Good work pulling the pin on buying the H160. I had one sitting in my cart, but thought I should try the Prime first.
Doesn’t give me much hope if you can’t grow even with that light.

Andrew D

Not sure if this link will come through, but this is what I use over my overflow ATS in my sump. Works great, I just have to protect them from the spray which has shorted one out already...

Luigi

Are you sure it's the light the problem? Water turnover o. The cheato ? Iron? A while ago I did built a reactor for cheato but once I ran out of a mineral can't remember.. I was mot able to grow anymore, po4 0.6 and n03-6
If I'm not mistaken actually you have to feed it

Luigi

The reactor never grew cheato again
Eventhogh p04 and n03 were high
IMG_20190504_1811546.jpg

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Are you sure it's the light the problem? Water turnover o. The cheato ? Iron? A while ago I did built a reactor for cheato but once I ran out of a mineral can't remember.. I was mot able to grow anymore, po4 0.6 and n03-6
If I'm not mistaken actually you have to feed it
I'll have to test for iron , anybody know what tests that would be?

Luigi

After I had the problem, I did a search and was mineral deficiency, I don't remember which one, the cheato needs it for growth

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
20210323_165427.jpg
This showed up today.. hopefully I can grow cheato now... lol

Last edited:
D

Dingets

I wish you luck!
my Chaeto isn’t dying but it sure ain’t thriving either.