• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Roller mat

Cliff

Staff member
It’s weird. I spent years with filter socks and fleece. Then might cheapness persuaded me to try something so I removed all mechanical filtration from my tank.
And I haven’t even noticed a difference. It’s been years since Ive used any kind of filter media. It saves me a fortune and honestly I haven’t seen a difference between having it and not.

Chris

I have been considering trying this roller mat filter option. I am not fond of washing / replacing socks. Anything that reduces maintenance choirs makes the hobby more enjoyable, IMO. I think I will put one on my Christmas wish list.

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
so the mats are throwaway ?? what's the cost for these mats and what's the impact on the environment....

Chris

Santa didn't bring me a Roller Filter for Christmas, so i took advantage of Boxing Day sales and ordered one online. I am going to go clean some filter socks while I wait for it to arrive.

Chris

So I have been using my new Roller Filter for a couple of months now and I am never going back to filter socks again! New filter roller, $300 - Not cleaning filter socks and spending more time enjoying the tank, priceless.

Chris

How long before change the filter?
Can they be washed?
How long before you change it would be dependant on each persons system, i.e. the make/model of filter, the amount of water flowing through it, the amount of detritus, etc. My personal experience with my small 50 gal system: a little over 2 months and the roll is still going. You don't wash and reuse them when they are done. I will have flushed more toilet paper before I toss out my first filter roll.

Last edited: