• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Set up issues

Codie

So I have my new 90 gallon tank in the middle of a cycle and as I am doing my adjustments during the cycle i noticed a few things. First thing is that my sump won’t allow me to have my skimmer in the first chamber but actually in the same chamber as my return pump. Is this going to be a big issue? Also I have a JNS cone skimmer and seems to put a lot of micro bubbles in the water. Should I be getting micro bubbles outside of the skimmer? It is used and I recently took it all apart to clean it. Also I put my heaters in the refugium section. Will the heaters effect the cheato or will it be fine ?

Attachments

• 1A900050-0377-4D4C-AF61-0343DF3ED44B.jpeg
    1A900050-0377-4D4C-AF61-0343DF3ED44B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 88EE7F40-F052-4F1E-906B-460128EEF58D.jpeg
    88EE7F40-F052-4F1E-906B-460128EEF58D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
First thing is that my sump won’t allow me to have my skimmer in the first chamber but actually in the same chamber as my return pump. Is this going to be a big issue?
in my experience, this proves to be difficult as the water level changes in the pump section. if your ATO has a larger margin, or if you don't have an ATO, if you change your filter socks/or your roller changes to a new spot then the level will rize... etc.

Also I have a JNS cone skimmer and seems to put a lot of micro bubbles in the water. Should I be getting micro bubbles outside of the skimmer? It is used and I recently took it all apart to clean it.
2 things could be at play here... this is one of the reasons that we put the skimmer in 1st or second chamber... to catch the bubbles....
but also, if you cleaned it too well... you probably remouved the slime coat from the inside.... in a few days a new slime coat will form and it should stop relasing the micro bubbles....

sorry for waiting to reply... trying to get more people engaged in the conversation.... lol

Codie

No problem thanks for the reply Luke so if I put the skimmer in the middle chamber I won’t be able to have a refug section. But planning on having fish only for a while do I need a refug? I mean if it’s only fish for a while and the skimmer is in the middle how much time would I have before needing the refug section?

Mack17

No problem thanks for the reply Luke so if I put the skimmer in the middle chamber I won’t be able to have a refug section. But planning on having fish only for a while do I need a refug? I mean if it’s only fish for a while and the skimmer is in the middle how much time would I have before needing the refug section?
You don’t “need” a refugium but they certainly do help. Can always get a HOB version or a macro algae reactor there’s several cool ways of getting that stuff involved in a system.

Codie

You don’t “need” a refugium but they certainly do help. Can always get a HOB version or a macro algae reactor there’s several cool ways of getting that stuff involved in a system.
So would I be better off for now just running the skimmer in the middle section and not worrying about refug until I get a better sump ?

Chris

Hi Codie,

By no means do I recommend you take my advice; but to further engage in the conversation, here’s my two cents:

When we use a manufactured sump with fixed baffles, you have limited options as to how to set it up. When I look at the picture of your sump, it looks like it is set up the way the manufacturer designed it.

From what I can see, the only potential issue is as Luke mentioned about the water level changes in the pump section and its effect on the skimmer’s performance. Some skimmers are more susceptible to this than others. This is something that you will have to monitor.

I don’t see any micro bubble issues in the picture of your DT. I have never experienced any negative micro bubble issues beyond maybe salt creep, or understood the fear of them. I try not to sweat the little things, and micro bubbles are very small.

I have no experience with Cheato and heaters together, but have heard of others experiencing no issues with this. You can only try and find out for yourself; part of this hobby is experimenting.

Codie

In the first picture you can see the micro bubbles I didn’t have the skimmer on in the DT picture at the time. But I since went to under the sea and he helped me out big time. We came up with a better solution to run the sump I have. I added the skimmer to the middle and the split the return chamber into two sections with a battle in the middle so that my cheato had a spot to go. Might have to add another baffle depending how it goes but that’s the plan for now lol still messing around with flow I believe I have about 200 gallons an hour running through the sump. Shawn(I believe his name is) at under the sea mention that 200 would be more then enough. Between all you guys and Shawn what a big help this forum is.

Attachments

• CBDAA27C-75F6-42E2-B380-BFA75A6CF24E.jpeg
    CBDAA27C-75F6-42E2-B380-BFA75A6CF24E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • E133828A-5168-486C-8EE6-E991E3B1ED22.jpeg
    E133828A-5168-486C-8EE6-E991E3B1ED22.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • D2607773-2266-4158-8B8A-45F07BA7E605.jpeg
    D2607773-2266-4158-8B8A-45F07BA7E605.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3