• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

water temperature

Andrew D

I didn't want to take Luke's thread in a different direction, but thought that I'd ask the wise and experienced how important they consider water temperature. I know like all things stability is key, so I'm asking more about the actual temperature. Myself I keep my tank relatively cool (mid 70s) because this is its ambient temperature without need for heaters (which I also hate from experience). My tank seems to do well but sometimes I wonder if I would get better coral growth or colour at a higher temperature.

Niagarafirecorals

Sponsor
Sponsor
I keep my system at 78 degrees and it never fluctuates past 78.2 so I keep mine extremely stable. This of course could directly relate to my OCD as some say I have lol

Andrew D

well, if that's your wife I'd take it with a grain of salt lol.

Andrew D

sorry, I don't know your wife, but mine says the same thing about me, especially the care I take within a hobby that she knows or cares nothing about

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I maintain 77.2, corals thrive, I used to use the seasonal variation that's built into Apex but in the middle of summer it would be holding my tank around 80 and I didn't like that

Cliff

Staff member
What’s the opposite of OCD? I think that’s what I have LOL my temperature swings wildly. Half of you guys would be aghast if you saw how much my temperature does move.😬 this is actually quite calm but I think my temperature goes anywhere from 76 up to 79

Attachments

• 36D3F29B-EB57-46AD-9A1D-5EB25F3EC590.png
    36D3F29B-EB57-46AD-9A1D-5EB25F3EC590.png
    545 KB · Views: 5

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
What’s the opposite of OCD? I think that’s what I have LOL my temperature swings wildly. Half of you guys would be aghast if you saw how much my temperature does move.😬 this is actually quite calm but I think my temperature goes anywhere from 76 up to 79
What is your set point cliff? do you not have enough wattage for heat then?

Andrew D

I'm like you Cliff. Although many say I too have OCD I've never really worried about tank temperature. The key for me though is that I don't have an apex or any sort of monitoring system so I am blissfully ignorant. YOu can't fuss over what you don't know lol.

Philip

I am on the fence of having temp too stable, I like to keep the coral guessing lol.

My temp is down to 76.6 at night and 78 during the day, 1.4 degree swing typically.

Two heaters controlled via ink bird and one self regulating (all Eheim 300W thermocontrol), I initially thought it would be rock solid but its not, tank is in the basement so its naturally cooler and thats a factor.

A little more tweaking on the horizon

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
78 is my goal and my apex keeps it there between 78 and 78.5 only fluctuation is in the summer if AC is off then it steadily climbs to 80+ also with the halide I have what and turn it off to stop the temperature increase.