• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Heating my tank with my Natural gas Hot Water tank!!!

Codie

You could use something like a inkbird with a powerbar. This would be one thing controlling all the heaters the same. IIdeally down the road you will end up with some type of controller like an Apex which will resolve these types of issues along with many others.
I was actually looking at the inkbird so would I turn the heaters up a little higher then what I would want the temp and just let the controller cycle the heat?

Luigi

I was actually looking at the inkbird so would I turn the heaters up a little higher then what I would want the temp and just let the controller cycle the heat?
I love inkbird controller
I have 2 one just heat controller
And one its a dual controller
Temp and humidity i use it for my meat curing chamber

Codie

I love inkbird controller
I have 2 one just heat controller
And one its a dual controller
Temp and humidity i use it for my meat curing chamber
I am ordering one right now lol but the real question is what do I need to heat my tank I read a lot of things online. So right now I have two 100 watt heaters and 1 150watt and usually only two kick on so could I get away with two 150watt heaters? It’s a 90 gallon and with the sump and all the rocks I have a total of 90 gallons of water flowing through it.

Luigi

I am ordering one right now lol but the real question is what do I need to heat my tank I read a lot of things online. So right now I have two 100 watt heaters and 1 150watt and usually only two kick on so could I get away with two 150watt heaters? It’s a 90 gallon and with the sump and all the rocks I have a total of 90 gallons of water flowing through it.
2 x150 its fine unless a very cold environment..and if one fails the other one at least Will keep a certain degree of water imo

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I love it also... -30c last night... sump.on an unfinished basement...

Screenshot_20220123-005227_APEX Fusion.jpg

Luigi

Very nice , well let me tell you as diy guy
Nice thoughts are going around right now..
Lol but not going to happen any time soon

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
great thread lots of info and certainly a lot to ponder as always Luke and Luigi feeding this forum with useful DIY builds to save $$$ and keep reefing affordable

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Little update: heating system is working great. Very happy with it.

Turns out the check valve on cold water inlet side is NOT necessary, as a matter of fact, it's bad. It isolates the hot water side of the house, and doesn't allow for expansion. If you plan on using the system do not add that check valve on the cold water inlet side of the hot water tank. The rest of the water in the system acts as a check valve.
20220331_192857.jpg

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Update, 2 years later, this heating system is amazing, trouble free, nice tight tank temp swing! Screenshot_20240129-194222_APEXFusion.jpg